Friday, January 2, 2015

Reflections on Anniversaries of Many Things

Today I'm feeling weird about the fact that it's been fifteen years since I was a little girl in my parents living room waiting for the calendar to flip over to "2000" and possibly usher in the end of the world. It's interesting to look back and see how many problems were averted by programmers ahead of time - and how many weren't that we never heard about.

But for me, it's more interesting to look back and realize that this was fifteen years ago. In less than two months I'll be 26, and it's already been a decade since I was a sophmore in high school. Oy vey.

This entire past year has been an anniversary of a different kind - marking ten years since my friends and I made our first feature length movie. Gosh, we were crazy kids. Ten years and three weeks ago we premiered it to a hundred friends and family members - and I was just 15. Since then I've made three more films, including "The Shadow of the Bear" which is probably the most insane undertaking I've attempted in my life (and one of the most amazing).

And on February 5th, it will have been seven years since I started this blog. Now that's crazy. Have I really been part of the bloggersphere for seven years? Well, I'm glad I didn't go with my original intention to wait until I had a book published because otherwise I'd still be blog-less and my life would have missed several interesting turns that my internet adventures brought to me.

Like, you know, meeting my husband.

Guys. It's just two weeks until my one year anniversary. Can you believe it? I'm guessing maybe not because everyone offline keeps asking me "can you believe you've been married almost a year already?!?"

My answer is that "I can and I can't." In some ways it feels like it can't possibly be a whole year already. On the other hand, being married to Nathan feels so completely natural, it's hard to believe that there was ever a time when we weren't together.

So those are my reflections on January 2nd, 2015. I wonder where I'll be in another 15 years, when the calendar flips over to 2030?


No comments: