Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Social Media Status Check

I'm trying to wean myself (a little bit) from social media. Not because I think it's bad - it's actually been a huge lifesaver with my hearing loss - but because I'm getting just a bit more addicted to it than I'm okay with, and my hands are paying the cost.

You see, a year ago I finally caved and bought a smart phone. I adore it and it has made my life easier in so many ways. However, I tend to stay up late scrolling through Facebook after I've gone through bed, and that is not good for my sleep cycle and definitely not good for my fingers. Ugh. My fingers!

Also, I'm trying to just stay away from controversial subjects even more. I always do that, but it's hard because people can get offended by just about anything on the internet, no matter how innocent it seems, and without being able to see each other face to face, it's a ripe ground for misunderstandings. I just don't have the emotional energy for that right now.

So the plan is:

  • Less engagement with potentially tricky topics
  • Less bedtime phone use
  • Less typing/more voice recognition for texting if I can figure out how to make that work.
I'm also trying not to define myself by the photos on my instagram. I adore instagraming. It might be my new favorite social media app. But it is much too easy to become obsessed with sharing and getting likes on my life. It's not a bad thing to enjoy that, but I can't let it take over me.

No comments: